Friday 18 January 2013

My Yarn with Nic Taylor


By the time I come back from seeing that Peggy Williams was tucked away safely in her car, the by's have managed to sneak out to Destiny's Goods, our local convenience store for two dozen beer. 

However, they their darndest to hide the tell tale silver coloured box with the majestic blue mountains, when I walk in and stare them down.

"Bit early for a refreshment is it not, fellas?"
"Oh, it is never too early for a good cold brew, especially after ogling two hot mamas!" Frank carolled after popping the top off another brown bottle. 
"Speaking of which, Terrance, Jack, are you going to behave yourself with my next guest? Your behaviour with Shannon and Peggy was deplorable!" I scolded. 

"I make no promises, because I get all weak in the knees and starry eyed when a beautiful woman is in the room! Shannon and Peggy where lookers alright! Tell me, is this next one going to be a looker?"

I chuckled to myself, yes, the next one is a looker, but they foolishly believed that my next guest is female.

I will not tell them any different.

Call it my little revenge for embarrassing me.
"Yes, yes, my next guest is quite easy on the eyes!" 

Whoops and hollers reminiscent of wolves in heat vibrated off the rafters as I set about preparing for my next visitor.

When a loud knock came at the door, the whooping stopped as I answered the door.

Premature lustful whistles erupted from my mates, but halted mid way when my friend Nic Taylor sauntered in wearing a very fashionable leather jacket, his signature baseball hat and sunglasses shielding his eyes.
While he looked rather dapper, I hoped he was going to be warm enough.

"Welcome, Nic Taylor  have a seat, sorry that it is not more comfy, but a poor fishing season has forced me to reduce my furniture to two milk crates, but I have plenty of refreshments, care to have one?" 

"I like the furniture it reminds me home and I’d love a coffee."

I give Nic a quizzical glance, wondering just what kind of curious surroundings he lives in, giving a new meaning to struggling.   I pour up a freshly brewed cup of fair trade coffee beans in a oversize mug,  mix it the way Nic likes it and hand it to him.

"Thank you for coming Nic, though I have known you for years, these yahoos are unfamiliar with you, share a little about yourself." 

“I think I can best describe myself at the moment as a struggling writer, although I have also struggled at being a researcher in renewable energy and as photographer and cameraman in the past.” 

I was right about the struggling part, but I hear him, I struggle to even breathe sometimes.

Especially when the elastic in my decade old sweat pants are threatening to sever me into as I try to daintily sit on the milk crate, but end up plopping on it instead letting loose a noise no lady should emit from that particular body part.

I blush with the embarrassment and pray that Nic does not notice, and continue to chat with him.

" I have seen A Plague of Dissent on Amazon and Goodreads and I would love to pick it up, but before I do, could you tell me a little about it?"

Well, it all starts with a bit of a bang, no not that sort, and the first body falls on page 3. The book is best described as a thriller although there is a little romance going on and a bit of sex, purely because it’s my favourite pastime"

Nic is interrupted by a normally quiet and ornery Gerard crudely stating "Is there any other kind of past time, buddy? I likes you dude, a lad after me own heart!!" 

"Okay, enough horsing around, I am talking with my friend here!" I growl at Gerard, who just gives me a sexually suggestive gesture before reaching for another beer.

"I am so sorry, Nic, please continue." 

I give Nic this, he seems completely unaffected by the crude comment and the interruption and continues describing A Plague of Dissent.

 "The story takes place in the UK at the present time and bears a great deal of similarities to events that are transpiring at present although I will stress that all my characters are fictional (wink wink) Political and police corruption are rife, the media has surpassed all traces of common decency in their efforts to find their next headline and the streets are becoming a battle ground as protesters demonstrate against the government and their fiscal policies. Amongst this backdrop a small group of men are attempting to use this anarchy that is rapidly consuming, the country to further their own agendas." 

"Wow, A Plague of Dissent sounds intriguing, is there a particular part of the story that you really enjoyed writing?"

Apart from the sex which is always a given for me the action scenes are always lots of fun to write and I really enjoy trying to capture the scene to make the reader feel they are witnessing it firsthand." 

I sit and wait for Jack to interject his usual question at this point but, I am surprised to see Jack's wife, pipe up and ask the question. I did not even know she was there.

"Hey dude, tell us who your favourite characters are!" 

"That would have to be by main characters, brothers by the name of Adam and Dan Young. They are dragged kicking and screaming into the story and really have no choice but to be reluctant heroes. Then of course there is Isobel, she makes me horny just thinking about her."

"Oh, thank you Nic, I am very flattered that you get so aroused when you think of me!"

I see Nic look at the tall petite blond with curiosity. 

"Nic, this is Isobel, my friend, Jack's wife. Jack is the fuming bull barely being held back from beating the living blood out of you." 
I turn to Jack, who is being led out the door by Gerard and Frank, who I hear mumbling "Don't be so serious b'y it is just a coincidence."

"Sorry about that, but Jack just needs time to cool down, I hope you are okay."

Nic says nothing, but just smiles his eyes filled with mischief. 

 "The question  inspires me to ask you, if A Plague of Dissent were to be optioned for a movie, who do you see playing your main characters?"

" There are so many to choose from but I think I would go for Liev Schrieber and Tom Hardy and for Isobel, I adore Roselyn Sanchez "

"They will be perfect, Nic I could really see that actors  playing that part!  I was wondering, as a person who writes on the side, during my down time, my writing process starts with forming the story in my head before I put pen to paper, what is your writing process like?"

" Yeah for sure, the ideas are floating around my head long before I put pen to paper or finger to keyboard. I think I probably forget more of my ideas than I actually write down, many occur as I am dropping off to sleep and I have even used my iphone to jot down quick mores before I forget them."

Then, Terrance staggered over to us, nearly falling into Nic's lap, spilling some of his beer on him. 

"Thanks for that it is probably time for a real drink, got to be dark soon"  Nic quips. 

Without missing a beat, Terrance hands Nic a beer from his inside pocket.

"All of this sounds fascinating but I heard writing is a hell of a lot of work, why do you do it, what do you get out of it?" 

"First I enjoy telling stories and one of the biggest buzzes I’ve ever had is reading a great review of my book. In fact I was recently compared to Ian Fleming and that was great and makes it all worthwhile." 

"I am impressed Nic, Ian Fleming is one of my favourite authors, that would make all the hardships worthwhile."

 "However, thanks for the awkward segue, Terrance, now go over with the rest of the b'ys and let me and Nic have our yarn. Terrance asked you why you like to write, now I want to ask you, is there anything about writing you don't like?" 

"Easy, the publicity, I want to write stories not spend hours slaving over social media pages trying to get people to read my stories."

"Oh my lord, Nic, I totally agree with you! I dread that part of being a writer! However,  when you write, what is it that you hope your readers take away from your story?"

" When I read a book I want it to take me away from where I am (often in an airport waiting for a bloody plane) So I like my readers to be transported into the world I am describing for them and to feel a little sad when they are done as if losing a new friend but also anticipating the next to come along."

"Do you have any other stories you are currently writing or are planning to write?"

" Yes I have four outlines on my hard drive, two of which continue the story of some of the characters within A Plague of Dissent along with two more thrillers." 

"Thanks a million for answering all my questions…and the others, Nic it has been a real pleasure. As I said before, I have seen A Plague of Dissent online at Amazon is there anywhere else your book is available and what formats? 

"Smash words I believe and it is available in all the digital formats." 

"You must be frozen solid by now, Nic my mates have been pretty greedy with the heat, so I am going to let you go so you can toddle on home and warm up, but before you go is there anything else you want to add?"

" No, just it’s been a pleasure and great meeting you all, this part of the publicity I do enjoy. Oh there maybe one thing, I am involved in community rugby and coach at a local club, we are in the process of developing the ramshackle club house that we use and turning it into a centre for the local community to use as well as rugby mad buggers. And part of the sale proceeds for A Plague of Dissent is going into a fund to help us achieve this. "

"Then we must make sure to promote your book A Plague of Dissent to the hilt to make sure that you are able to achieve your goal in developing your centre! All my best to you, Nic."

I take Nic's empty beer bottle, looking around outside to make sure that Jack is no where to be found to jump poor Nic and beat him, but I have a feeling that Nic is quite capable of taking care of himself, maybe he has his rugby ball with him.

Please find A Plague of Dissent on:

and 


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me site